Monday, July 27, 2020

Bad Reviews

Bad Reviews

I have always said that I am my worst critic.  I always strive to make whatever I do better then next time around.  Critiquing and adapting were also key components when I taught, led recreation events, or coached.  That being said, I am mindful to ask clients how they feel post bodywork and if they liked the work that was done.  This is important because frequently, I will recommend a modality (often Myofascial Release) and I would like their honest opinion.  It also allows us to discuss that modality a bit more.

My preference if a client does not like the work is to tell me and to be specific.  That way I can actually do something about it rather than being completely shocked to read their review on the internet.  I do have people who are honest, yet, every-now-and-then, I get someone who isn’t upfront.  This has recently happened.

The other week, I received a pithy review from a client (a month post bodywork).  The accusation that it was the worst massage ever was right - especially since we did a different form of bodywork that is not considered to be massage.  There were other accusations, but we will leave it there.  I may be partly to blame.  When I client comes in, they fill out a health form and then we discuss their goals for the session.  If they want massage, but Myofascial Release (MFR) is a better modality for their issue(s), I will recommend it and either suggest a full or a blended (with massage) session.  I also quickly explain what they can expect and that it is not massage...in fact, it is pretty much the opposite of massage. It is a lot for someone to take in and I am sure that sometimes I leave some important things out - such as, “this is very different than massage”.

My dilemma is what to do about it?  One response is to question them on the review site.  That is never my first option unless they have given me a bad review but have never received bodywork from me (this has actually happened).  The other is to let it go.  While seemingly passive, I have come to recognize that the bodywork I do ISN’T for everyone and that is okay.

And, there we have it.

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment