Wednesday, October 17, 2018

When a client should cancel an appointment and flu shots...

10-17-2018

The day of your massage has finally arrived and are are more the ready to slip away from the craziness of the world into the little cocoon in my studio.  The only problem is that you have come down with something: a cough, cold, fever or other contagious issue.  You really want the body work but are not sure you should keep the appointment.

Any of these mentioned illnesses are reason to cancel and reschedule your appointment.  Coughs and colds are not pleasant to deal with on the table for both the client and the therapist.  As a therapist, it is really hard to massage someone who is constantly coughing or needing to blow their nose.  More importantly, while I clean my table and replace massage sheets between clients, a client's constant coughing can spread germs to both myself and future clients.  The same can be said for any contagious disease.  Today, I had a client rebook due to developing Pink Eye.  While some see this perhaps as a small issue, it is highly contagious.  I am thankful that she took the initiative to rebook and not expose me or other clients to this issue.

I live in a county that has a high percentage of people who chose to not vaccinate.  This is something I choose to do.  As a bodywork, it is important for me to protect myself from various illnesses as well as protect my clients as well.  I also chose to get a flu shot each year.  The Flu, along with many other ailments, are generally contagious prior to symptoms appearing.  Because of this, it is important for me to not only protect myself, but lessen the chance that I pass something on to someone else.  It is a two way street.  If you are not feeling your best, or feel like you are coming down with a cold or the flu, a massage will not work to your benefit anyway.  Sometimes they can spur the onset and actually make you feel worse.  The best thing to do is to go home and rest and push fluids.

(knock, knock) That's me knocking on wood and hoping I have not invited the crude to my doorstop.

May you all stay well this fall and winter.

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment