Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Biking Across Kansas and other things


October 9, 2018

This past June, I spent my 6th year providing bodywork for Biking Across Kansas (BAK).  THIS was exactly why I went in to bodywork - to provide massage therapy for athletes.

Providing bodywork for events like BAK is exhausting, yet rewarding work.  The days are long and jam packed.  A typical day for us on BAK begins at noon and goes until 10 pm with little to no breaks (unless you schedule them in).  The primary role we play is to keep the cyclists injury/pain free so they can complete their journey across the state.

The realization is that some of these folks come to BAK with prior injuries/issues, some may not have trained enough (or at all) and some may not have any business riding on a two lane highway with truck traffic.  At any rate, they end up at my table in an effort to be pain free or stay pain free so they may continue their quest.

Each year, as I prepare for BAK, I familiarize myself with where my "Scope of Practice" begins and ends.  I fortunately wear a few professional hats: Licensed Bodyworker, Exercise Physiologist, Certified First Aid/CPR.  Because if this, I can meet people and discuss and prescribe at a different level than most therapist.  Interestingly, this isn't the case with all bodyworkers.  I have been witness to bodyworkers who work far outside of the scope of practice.  What is interesting is that people listen.  People assume that you are the expert and know what you are doing.  My advice to people is to fully check out the person before you succomb to their work.   What is their education (and continuing education), certifications and reviews?  Having worked in Kansas for many years as a therapist, I educated people all the time.  Kansas still does not recognize massage therapy as a profession.  Therefore, there are no standards such as the need for a certificate, state or national certification, ethics, safety and sanitation.  I have literally seen massage situations that gross me out due to unsanitary conditions and yet people were lined up for bodywork.

So, my parting words to you are:  Where ever you receive bodywork, seek out the bio of the therapist, chat with them prior to scheduling a session and with a discerning eye, read their reviews.

Carry on, folk!

No comments:

Post a Comment